Monday, April 28, 2008

Needle Felting Test

I've always seen artists on Etsy who do this amazing fiber craft: Needle felting. I wanted to try it out for myself---and it's not as hard as I thought it would be!!
All you do is take loose wool roving (which is basically the fluff that is shorn right of the sheep or alpaca) and roll into little balls or forms, and stick it with a barbed needle a million times until the fibers are all mixed together and everything stays put. Keep sticking on new forms....then add some color patterns...it was very fun! I definitely recommend this to any crafter who might have the urge.
I made these 3 guys over the course of maybe 4 hours. The brontosaurus was my first.

(the giraffe started off his life as a bumblebee...but I changed my mind. Now he's a mutant with all of his appendages, but I'm okay with that!)


...looks like everyone in my family is getting wool Christmas ornaments this year!

Check out this felting-artist:

ameliamakesart.etsy.com
...really amazing work!

No comments: